Minutes of Desford Neighbourhood Plan Working Group 08.08.17.

Present: Colin Crane, Pat Crane, David Crocker , Bernard Grimshaw, Jim Houghton, June Morris, Martyn Randle, Judy Sharpe, Darren Tilley

In attendance: Richard Mugglestone (MRH)

Apologies: Paul Angelinetta, Kaye Johnson, Gary Kirk, Linda Mitchell, John Preston, Scott Wakefield

  • Minutes of 10.07.17. were agreed and signed as a true record
  1. Matters Arising:

BG asked about the progress with obtaining OS maps.  SH said that a small number of maps could probably be supplied by HBBC.  It was agreed that access to maps would be useful for the Parish Council for other occasions apart from the NDP.  CC said that he would ensure that it was discussed at the Resources Committee the following day, that DPC subscribe to http://www.getmapping.com

    1. Declarations of Interest: none made

The Chairman agreed to move item 7 to item 4

      1. Housing Needs Survey Report:
      • RM said that we could look together at ways of meeting the needs shown by the survey. This would involve further consultation if we decide to go ahead
      • If any sites are put forward for open market housing, we now have the evidence to support a request eg. that there is a proven need for bungalows
      • Of the 17 requests for open market housing, 8 were for bungalows
      • A Local Lettings Plan can be imposed on HBBC or Housing Association houses
      • Affordable Housing can be a mix of sizes and tenures
      • The results identified a need for 14 affordable homes, but cross referencing with HBBC revealed that there were another 46 on their register with a local connection
      • We could ask HBBC to reaffirm what they identify as a “local connection” and to check whether all the names on their list are still valid
      • Shared ownership is often not understood
      • Rural Exception Sites are outside the settlement boundary, but abutting it. (Land is cheaper to buy outside the boundary.  At one time, farmers hung onto land, to get a higher payment for open market developments, but this less common now that most local authorities have their 5 year land supply in place).  We would need to look at possible sites in conjunction with HBBC planning department.  An RES can now include some open market houses, but the profit from these has to be used to subsidise the affordable houses (which would be managed by a Housing Association).  They are usually small sites of 6 -10 houses.  Finding a site is the hardest part.  The 106 agreement would specify what is a “local” person.  BG asked if there any set criteria for a RES, such as proximity to bus stop, facilities etc. but there are none.
      • The affordable houses on the Bellway estate can be let to people without a Desford connection. They are allocated on a points system.  A Local Lettings Plan cannot be applied retrospectively
      • The Heart of England Housing Association are managing these. RM will ask whether it is the same HA for phase 2 of the development and what criteria they are using
      • Kirby Grange has many bungalows but they are open market or privately rented and are not affordable
      • The Report will be filed at HBBC and used to help determine future planning applications
      • RM is happy to attend any engagement events that we hold and can invite management from Housing Associations as well as developers
      • He is willing to attend the Housing Focus Group if needed
      • Work towards a RES can be progressed in parallel with our NDP work. We do not have to wait until the NDP is finished/adopted
      • LM is to be asked to write an article for the Graphic. This should include a link to Desford Vision website where people can read the report for themselves.  (Please let RM see it before publication and send to JH to put on the website)
        1. Questionnaire Report: JP had been unable to complete the report in time for the meeting. It should be ready by Friday and will be put in dropbox.  BG will e mail to those not familiar with dropbox
          1. Treasurer’s Report:
          2. There had been no change since the last meeting
          3. BG asked if there was any news of the Locality grant being extended beyond December, but there has been no announcement. Our grant runs out in October.  We will have to rebid for any unspent grant money
          4. We have not received an invoice from YL yet. GK has been asked to provide a template for Desford tasks (as against the generic template)
            1. Communications Officer’s Report:
            2. Terms of Reference & Governance for DPCNPWG: it was agreed to amend 4f to read: A quorum of members for the transaction of business is 4 including at least one DPC member
            3. DPCNPWG Roles & Processes of Focus Groups
            4. BG will send both these documents to Jake Atkinson (LRALC) for his comments and, following any further amendments, to DPC for their approval
            5. Thanks to BG for all his work on these
        1. Focus Group Reports:

      Environment: have been advised by John Martin to do an inventory of every field in the parish.  They met to number the fields on a map and found there are approx 288.  Newbold Verdon have already completed the process and found it a worthwhile exercise.  The group will do a first walk with JM on 19th August.  BG will also attend if he can.  This task will take some time

      Housing: were awaiting the HNS Report and Questionnaire Report; also analysis of the census from Derek Doran.  Next meeting 7th September

      Community Facilities, Employment & Transport: have been given a long list of tasks by Mike Preston

        1. A report on the current facilities. MP provided a model template which they are populating by passing round the group in turn, with a view to having it completed by their next meeting on 22nd August
        2. The next step will be to see if there is a community action which can be put against any of the items eg. to do something about traffic
        3. The actions identified will be used to write the policies
        4. A next meeting will be arranged with MP when they are ready
        5. Barlestone have done a Community Speedwatch and Newbold Verdon will shortly do one. DPC had decided not to do one.  The Three Villages Group are investigating whether LCC will lend the equipment to do a joint survey along the B582
        6. DPC are looking into the cost of doing a traffic survey as they were dissatisfied with the survey done in conjunction with the Neovia planning application. We need to establish the class, volume and speed of vehicles
          1. Website: the latest press release is on the front page. Usage is low.  We need to find interesting articles to publish.  Could each Focus Group do a brief report?  The HNS report will be put on.  Newbold Verdon have attracted interest in their site by publishing old photographs
            1. It is time we produced a Vision Statement. This needs to be short and snappy and must be in accord with HBBC Local Plan.  Members were asked to bring ideas to the next meeting
            2. We have not received a bill from YL. We can keep a log of the Focus Group meetings attended, but the consultants are also doing work in the background
            3. the Focus Groups should have a common policy of doing as much work as they can on their own and only involve the consultant when they have reached the final draft or need help with the next step

      Date of next meeting; Tuesday 26th September at 7pm

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This