DNP Working Group minutes 15th March 2021

4.30 pm Zoom


In Attendance: Andrew Norton, Bernard Grimshaw, Colin Crane, David Crocker, Gary Kirk, Judy Sharpe, Martyn Randle (chair), Pat Crane, Scott Wakefield, Martin Broomhead (Clerk to DPC)


Apologies: Jim Houghton


  1. Welcome: Martyn welcomed everyone to the meeting and asked for apologies to be listed.


  1. Minutes of last meeting / matters arising:

Martyn asked whether everyone had had the opportunity to read the minutes. There were no matters arising.

The minutes were approved as a true record and signed by Judy on behalf of Martyn.


  1. Declaration of Interest: There were no declarations of interest.


  1. Chairman’s Report:

Martyn stated that he had received an email from Market Bosworth NP group. It was agreed that this would be discussed later.


  1. Treasurer’s Report:

Bernard stated that there was no change in the financial situation from before.


  1. Communication Officer’s Report:

Bernard stated that he had circulated an email on the 11th March 2021 with four headings for discussion by the group. These headings led the following discussions below.


  1. Discussions on Davidsons Appeal :

Bernard stated that the planning appeal was now a Public Inquiry and was scheduled to open on the 22nd June             2021 and to last for up to 6 days.

This discussion was regarded as sensitive information.


  1. Discussions on the referendum:

Bernard confirmed that the DNP referendum would take place as part of the local elections on May 6th 2021.

David asked for confirmation that the results of the referendum would be known before the date of the Planning Appeal Public Inquiry. Martin Broomhead stated that the results would be known soon after the election date. Bernard said he thought that it would probably be early in the following week.

Colin reminded the DNPWG that there would be 3 different ballot papers at the election and that therefore 3 different envelopes would be provided for anyone with a postal vote.

Bernard mentioned he had received an email from Fran at HBBC regarding the DNP referendum, which he had circulated to the DNPWG on the 12th March 2021. She had spoken to Mollie Brooks-Crowley in elections and confirmed that they were well on their way to the referendum. Fran had offered to handle the specified documents and any final editing needed.  She had also commented that if the referendum is successful the DNP could be made quickly.

Pat raised the issue that there is still no paper copy of the DNP in the library for the public to access and that the library was due to reopen on the 12th April 2021, subject to the lifting of government lockdown restrictions.

Bernard commented that he needed to reply to Fran. Pat proposed that Bernard should reply to Fran and ask her to do the work that she had suggested and ask for a paper copy to be provided. All agreed. Action –Bernard


Bernard commented that the DPC has to provide a neutral flyer advertising the referendum. Scott had produced and circulated a draft copy of this, which had been commented on by members of the DNPWG.

Pat said subject to the flyer being approved by the DPC meeting on Wednesday 17th March 2021 she would suggest that it be produced and printed on DPC headed notepaper. This would then provide contact information should anyone wish to get in touch by either email or phone.

Discussion took place regarding the printing of the flyers. The Graphic and a printer in Anstey have both been used in the past by the DNPWG for printing. Martin Broomhead suggested that the printing could be done internally using the photocopier in the library. It was agreed that this would be done provided that the new toner cartridge had arrived. Colin also suggested using a better quality paper. A professional printer would be used as a back up. This was agreed.  Action-Martin

It was suggested that the DPC/DNPWG could deliver the flyers to every household in the parish, as had been done previously. Martin asked about the timing of this. Colin suggested that he talk to Mollie Brooks-Crowley in the elections department at HBBC so that these could be distributed at a similar time as the poll cards are delivered. Action -Colin

Martyn commented that he had a list of streets in the parish which he would circulate. People could then confirm which roads they were prepared to deliver the flyers to. Martyn offered to coordinate this. This was agreed by all. Action- Martyn


Discussion about publicising the referendum took place.

Bernard said that he would submit an article encouraging parishioners to vote in the referendum in The Graphic and the Parish News. Action –Bernard

Scott offered to post articles on the various village Facebook pages if these are sent to him.

It was agreed that the neutral flyer would be posted on the parish noticeboards, and that Jim be asked to put it on the Desford Vision website. Action- Jim

It was agreed that the church would be approached about borrowing the A frame boards and that posters would be placed on them at the time of the election to encourage people to vote. Action -Martyn

Martin noted that Gary had made clear that all official publicity has to be even handed. It can encourage people to vote, but not which way.

It was noted that individual parishioners, or groups of concerned citizens, could make their own views known and thereby try to encourage a yes vote.


  1. Web page/Twitter/Spotted Desford:

Scott will post articles on Facebook groups. Jim will be asked to put neutral flyer on Desford Vision website. Bernard will deal with Botcheston Banter. Martin Broomhead will upload articles to DPC websites.  Action –Scott, Jim, Bernard and Martin


  1. AOB:

Parish Forum on Neighbourhood Planning

Part of this discussion was regarded as sensitive information.

Colin commented that the Parish Forum would take place next month. Neighbourhood Planning was not on the agenda, but Colin expected that it would be raised.

Ward Councillors

This discussion was regarded as sensitive information.


Martin commented that it would be useful to have some notes from this meeting in time for the DPC meeting on the evening of the 17th March 2021. Judy said that she would try and provide them by Wednesday lunchtime. Action-Judy


  1. Date of next meeting:

The date of the next meeting is Monday 19th April at 4.30pm using the Desford Parish Council Zoom facility.


Meeting closed 5.28pm.


I confirm this is a true record of the meeting:


Signed……………………………………………………………..   Name……………………………………………………………




Pin It on Pinterest

Share This